Spellcasting Revision as of 17:09, 20 January 2015 by Rafferty
A magician is any character that purchases the magician skill. This skill gives the character the skill and power to cast some simple spells. Once a character has this prerequisite then there are a range of additional spells and arcane skills and abilities that they can acquire.
- Every magician starts with four personal mana every day
- You must expend personal mana or crystalized mana to cast a spell
- You cannot cast spells while wearing armour
- All spells require vocals clearly audible to everyone within a few metres
Any character that purchases the magician skill has four personal mana and is able to cast create bond, detect magic or operate portal. Each time a character purchases an extra spell they must choose one additional spell from the spell list.
Your character may also use crystalized mana to cast spells; a single crystal can be used to cast any single spell.
Your personal mana replenishes overnight.
All spell vocals require appropriate roleplaying which must include spell vocals in a clear voice audible to everyone within a few metres of you. All spells are one of two types, regular spells or offensive spells.
- Require at least ten seconds of appropriate roleplaying
- Require you to touch the target throughout the casting of the spell
- The spell fails if you or your target are hit or attack another character during spellcasting
To cast a regular spell you must complete at least ten seconds of appropriate roleplaying including spell vocals. You must be touching your target throughout the casting of the spell. If you or your target attacks another character or either of you are hit then your mana is lost but the spell has no effect.
- Require at least five seconds of appropriate roleplaying
- Require you to hit the target with an implement, a wand, rod or staff
- You must hit the target within ten seconds of completing the spellcasting
- The spell fails if you attack another character or are hit during spellcasting
To cast an offensive spell you must complete at least five seconds of appropriate roleplaying including spell vocals. You must then touch your target with a wand, rod or staff within ten seconds of completing the spell. You cannot cast an offensive spell without using a suitable implement.
If you deliver an offensive melee strike to touch the target with your implement then the target also loses one global hit. You should always assume that your opponent has wounded you in this way unless their roleplaying clearly indicates otherwise.