The Captain's Garb is a suit of magical clothing with a distinctly martial look, infused with a little of the power of the dramaturgical persona of the Captain. A ritual magician who wears this clothing can draw on the power it contains to empower their ability to perform Summer magic. In addition to providing additional magical power, the robes also infuse the wearer with some of the personality of the Captain.
As a garment infused with the essence of the Captain, the robe also empowers the wearer's awareness of their own heroic qualities, helping them to stand firm and giving a gentle reminder of what is important – their friends.
The raiment itself is generally woven from wool, carefully bleached and dyed with vibrant colours, and decorated with sungold embroidery. They invariably include an amount of both soft leather and dragonbone incorporated into the embellishments or used to provide additional shape for the costume. The clothes tend to have a martial cut, designed to allow the wearer to move freely, reflecting the role of the Captain as a figure who takes action. The Captain's Raiment tends to reflect the fashions of the League and Dawn, but designs also exist for an even more practical outfit employing Marcher style, dubbed the Mummer's Yeoman, and a version cut to fit the aesthetics of a wealthy Steinr dubbed the Hero's Tunic.
While the Captain's Garb provides no protection in itself, it is an easy matter for the costume to be created with an eye to being worn under a suit of mage armour, leaving space to integrate pauldrons, pectoral, belt, circlet, vambraces, gorget, or greaves. In this way, a magician who also fights the enemies of the Empire with rod or staff can continue to draw on the power of the Captain infused into the robe.
- Form: Armour. Takes the form of a robe. You must be wearing this robe to use its magical properties.
- Requirement: You must have the magician skill to bond to this item.
- Effect: Once per day you may use this robe to gain two additional ranks of Summer Lore for the purposes of performing a single ritual, subject to the normal rules for effective skill.
- Roleplaying Effect: While wearing this robe you feel an urge to behave in an honourable fashion, and to risk any danger to aid your friends and allies.
- Materials: Crafting a Captain's Garb requires twelve ingots of orichalcum, five ingots of green iron, five measures of dragonbone, seven measures of beggar's lye, and eleven measures of iridescent gloaming. It takes one month to make one of these items.
This is one of six sets of ritual robes designed by House Bourné, a Sarvosan guild formed by the union of League master-artisans and a Dawnish weaver cabal. Their unique designs combine the power of dramaturgy with a deep understanding of the hearth magic of girding. During Winter 380YE, in conjunction with popular publication The Looking Glass, the Merchant-Prince Genia Bourné di Sarvos announced that the guild would allow any Imperial artisan to visit their estate in Sarvos and study the schemata detailing the six raiments, free of charge.Any character can learn how to create this raiment following the normal rules - either by selecting the robe as one of their starting items, or learning it as an extra item pick. The only restriction is that anyone who knows how to make one of these robes must have spent a week or two studying at House Bourné in Sarvos - there is currently no other way to master the patterns which remain the proprietary knowledge of the Bourné guild.