Tonics of the Deep Forest
The tonics of the deep forest grant vigour and health. These preparations use alcohol as a base, and are usually very strong tasting. They are especially popular among the Varushkans, who mix them with raw spirits and flavour them with strong honey. Some Freeborn Kohan are leery of using the Winterskin and Ironblood tonics due to the way they dampen strong passions. By contrast, many Landsknecht and Schlacta appreciate the way these elixirs help them suppress feelings of fear, empathy or compassion.
This potion helps the drinker to shrug off the effect of minor wounds; a sword blow that might otherwise have resulted in a significant wound instead inflicts a nasty bruise, for example. The preparation is also valued for its positive effect on an imbiber's fighting spirit; while it will not make a cowardly fighter any braver, it helps to reduce the fear of danger in a way that grants valuable confidence, especially to untried troops.
- Form: Liquid.
- Description: This deep golden liquid looks a little like watered-down honey. It has an alcoholic scent, and a tiny droplet of the sticky fluid on your tongue tastes strongly of apples.
- Roleplaying Effects: You feel very confident in your ability to survive dangerous situations.
- Mechanical Effects: You gain an additional rank of endurance until the next sunrise. This is a tonic; the effect of any other tonic you have drunk immediately ends.
- Recipe: One dram of True Vervain and one dram of Bladeroot.
This cool elixir deadens sensations of pain, allowing a warrior to shrug off an assault that might fell an untried combatant. It also cools the blood and distances the drinker from their emotions, which can be both a positive and a negative side-effect.
- Form: Liquid
- Description: When this golden-brown liquid catches the light, it seems almost to glow. It has a strongly alcoholic scent, but tastes sweet - like butterscotch. Place a tiny drop on your finger or your tongue, and the tip quickly becomes numb.
- Roleplaying Effects: You feel distanced from your emotions, as if they were being experienced by someone else.
- Mechanical Effects: You gain two additional ranks of endurance until the next sunrise. This is a tonic; the effect of any other tonic you have drunk immediately ends.
- Recipe: Two drams of Cerulean Mazzarine, one dram of True Vervain, and one dram of Bladeroot.
This potent elixir reduces the effect of wounds but also numbs the heart. The preparation has a bad reputation, and is sometimes blamed for encouraging violent and cruel individuals to express their antisocial tendencies. Imperial magistrates have little patience for criminals who try to claim that it is the effect of this tonic that drove them to some act of excessive cruelty.
Excessive and extended use of Ironblood Tonic has been known to permanently reduce the ability to relate to others, and lead to long-term emotional damage.
- Form: Liquid.
- Description: This golden-brown liquid clings viscously to the inside of the container if you shake it. It smells faintly of apples, but a tiny drop on your tongue reveals it to have a strangely salty flavour.
- Roleplaying Effects: You find it very hard to care about the feelings of other people, and tend to take the most expedient course of action regardless of who it might hurt.
- Mechanical Effects: You gain three additional ranks of endurance until the next sunrise. This is a tonic; the effect of any other tonic you have drunk immediately ends.
- Recipe: Three drams of Marrowort, two drams each of True Vervain and Cerulean Mazzarine, and one dram of Bladeroot.